Monday, December 7, 2015

TV in Your Pocket



pic by 123rf.com

It's no surprise that the way we consume media as changed significantly over the last couple of years. Some of us were lucky enough to experience media consumption (television, specifically) and experience its evolution to slimness. The slow start and static screens of your classic Cathode Ray Tube TV and the debate between Plasma & LCD flat-screen panels are sure to remind us of simpler TV days.

Fast forward years ahead. How big is your TV screen? My personal TV screen is about 5.5" diagonally, but some may disagree about this fact. Here's the series of events that lead me to this thought.

1. I began to reduce my priority of watching TV when university years came by.
2. Coincidentally, the age of internet viral videos came about.
3. Pocket-sized media devices like the iPod Video and Creative Zen variants.

I remember a time during university days when we would whip out our shiny new gadget to show off. "Wow! That new thing can play videos! My phone can only play MP3 I acquired off the net". This goes to show that technology is reaching more and more individuals as media consumption becomes a 'necessity'.

Video streaming services like Netflix, iflix, and YouTube are the evolution of couch surfing. This time, we get to pick and choose the shows we would like to watch with more accuracy while not having to be bound by the dictator that is the TV schedule. The only phrase I can use to describe my experience using these platforms is "same same, but different". Let's be honest here, the guilt of downloading TV shows is a weight off our shoulders. (Imagine Atlas expressing a sigh of relief).

I thought I would only share this much that's in my head for the moment. Let's hope for a continuation of this little article of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment